Saturday, November 20, 2010

23 Years & What I've Learned Thus Far

I dedicated myself to the pursuit of the Occult just three days and twenty years ago. Wow. Never thought I'd live that long, you know? LoL Well this from a guy who never gave a damn about what he ate, what he drank & was into daredevil things like riding super bikes at speeds in excess of 140 mph. (That's not to mention some of the strange drugs I've imbibed over the years either!)

The first thing I've learned as I look back over it all is that dedication is often given lip service by people. They want to promise themselves to the Gods or the Old Ones but it turns out that those are mere words to them. They want everything on their terms and to hell with what the Spirits want. Arrogant but true! Dedication is a very important step because it's the precursor to Initiation. It's an opportunity to snow the Spirits you mean business.

In our modern society, we have the unfortunate infiltration of what accounts for humans trying to rationally explain the irrational through a pseudo-practice called Psychology. Oh sure there have been a few good things come of Psychological research such as some forms of therapy that have shown promise like Neuro-Linguistic Programming but even so, such things pale in comparison to what real Sorcery can do for a person in their life.

I really think too many make far too much of this pseudo-Psychological claptrap where they try and combine it with Magic & then call it MagicK. Really? You feel the need to throw Magic in with Psychology? Why? To what end or purpose? They do this then call it 'High Magick' which it's not. It's just pseudo-Psychological nonsense that does what in the real world exactly? Nothing! Now in all fairness Chaos Magick, which bills itself as Sorcery but is really NEW Sorcery, can do some amazing things internally but externally to affect someone else? I've never seen Chaos Magick work in that regard. Typically Chaos Magickians need to get their sigil in front of the target before they can get it to take effect.

Old fashioned Sorcery is where it's at for a consistent results in the real, external world. Such things as herbs, roots, charm bags, candles, prayers, and such that here in the US we call Hoodoo. This has become the Low Magic which provides results that CM's dream about doing. Sure it's one thing to summon a powerful Spirit up from the Netherworlds and gain all sorts of insights & maybe coax it to do your bidding but why bother when you can get a root, a candle & a prayer to do it for you?

My first taste into African Folk Magic came through Obeah which I learned from an old black gent in the South Florida area. I was introduced to a number of black folks in the South Florida area who worked what many would call Hoodoo or RootWork-Conjure Sorcery but they called it 'Spiritual Work' and themselves 'Workers'. One was a 90+ y/o black woman who had a very strong psychic talent and was able to tell you very intimate details. She was a Spiritualist and said she had a familiar Spirit who'd tell her all your business. Scary eh? LoL

Another lesson I've learned over the years is to keep a healthy skepticism but do not be idiotic & throw out the baby with the bathwater! Morons deem themselves 'debnkers' pretending to figure out things by saying, "Well if we can reproduce the effect, then it's not Metaphysical" to which I reply, "Just because you can reproduce an effect, does not imply anytime someone does this same ritual/spell/whatever it's a fake. Hollywood can with CGI reproduce ANYTHING on screen. Big deal!" But if Hollywood can reproduce multiple images of you, so does that mean YOU aren't real? Same convoluted logic. Ugh.

I've also learned that Spirits can & do some very weird things. They can make you see things that are not there; let you experience things that you thought impossible; and give you information such as insights into the unknown to help you find a solution to your problem. They do not always have to be conjured to physical appearance because if you have a valid medium on hand, you can summon the Spirit through them and converse with them directly in conversation.

In summary, it's been a very long strange trip. I've learned a LOT about myself over the years and have also discovered that I don't know near as much as I wish to know.  But no matter how much I learn or discover, I'll never learn it all. Even in many lifetimes nor after death. *shrugs* Such is the way of things.

7 comments:

  1. You said "They do not always have to be conjured to physical appearance because if you have a valid medium on hand, you can summon the Spirit through them and converse with them directly in conversation."

    I don't have the luxury of having a medium on hand (I wouldn't know where to begin to look for a decent medium here in Budapest) and I decided some time back that the whole Lisiewskian shit-flying-around-and-plaster-shaking-from-the-thumping-walls sort of physical appearance seemed to be overkill. What do you see as the more reliable alternatives to those two? Scrying mirror? Automatic writing? Just listening to the voices in your head/watching the visions in your mind?

    I'm pleased that you have come to Blogger, and look forward to reading you regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Scrib: I think traditional western mediums for chatting with the spirit are scrying mirrors and bowls. When lacking those, I used to use dead T.V. stations and the static, along with trance and the ritual. I had some pretty sweet results, and for about a decade it meant I could scry most anywhere. (Alas, dead T.V. stations are now fading out in favor of the blue "no input" screen).

    You could also train a pendulum (clockwise/yes, counter/no) and let the spirit jolt it. I've never had success with the method, but a buddy of mine's wife swears by it. And then there's the Ouija board, and Crowley's comments on it...

    Just my thoughts.

    @Moloch: New sorcery or not, everyone loves a Psalm in latin, charged and bolstered with intent and unleashed through the medium of some archaic thing (or not) into the world of thoughts and ideas, waiting for it to blister and bubble up when the right moment comes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jack: I asked, because I assumed from his wording that by "medium" he meant a human being. Now that I reread his wording, I'm not sure.

    Hey Moloch! Anybody home? Jack is receiving your guests for you. Maybe not be the best of ideas. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Scribbler: I was talking about a human medium. Where do you find one in Budapest? Hmmmm..... the Yellow Pages? In Haitian Vodu, for example, if one wishes to speak to a LWA, the Houngan (re: priest0 will get a Horse (re: medium) and then summon the LWA on the Horse & talk to It.

    The writings of Allen Kardec are still pretty standard amongst most of the ATR practitioners. Mediumship often starts out with someone having some modicum of talent and then some training & practice ensues.

    Ever wonder why some folks start 'Psychic Study Groups'? ;) The motives are not always to help people develop their psychism; sometimes folks with natural mediumship abilities are sought and sorted out.

    Aside from that, you can work at Scrying methods or asking the Spirit to visit you in your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jack: I knew that some folks worked with the white noise methods but had not heard of the blue screen one. Interesting.

    Pendulums work like a Ouija board & they work quite well. Have used one for a very, long time before I was given my Head Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say YES to your comments on Real Magic in the physical world. Nothing like a book thrown at your roommate from your room, when you aren't home, to help them realize its not all some Jungian mental game....

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The first thing I've learned as I look back over it all is that dedication is often given lip service by people. They want to promise themselves to the Gods or the Old Ones but it turns out that those are mere words to them. They want everything on their terms and to hell with what the Spirits want. Arrogant but true!"

    I'm pretty well read in the Northern Tradition Paganism community (heathenry but more spiritual, basically) and I've heard this sentiment rumbled a few times amongst the elders. This is a problem not just with magicians and spirits, but with devotees and Gods as well. A scary thing, and there are some interesting discussions on it and why it exists.

    As for the other part. There have definitely been a few times I've had better success with a simple candle and prayer than I have with a full blown ritual! Clarity is often butchered by complexity.

    ReplyDelete